One of the most important issues for the Conservative Movement in recent days is the controversy around the egalitarian prayer at the Kotel. For years the movement has been struggling for the right for all the jews to pray in the Kotel according to their costum.
The main goal of this activity in the Educational Kit, is to understand the decision taken by the Israeli government and to learn about the reactions of the different groups involved in the crisis with special emphasis in the Masorti movement.
We provide you with some resources that may serve to deepen the Kotel recent issues and the relationship with the Masorti Movement.
Most are opinion pieces are from the Masorti Movement leaders who express their feelings about recent events.
We include articles of opinion, videos and statements of the Conservative Movement institutions.
- Have you been in the Kotel recently?
- Are you planning to visit or celebrate and event at the Kotel?
- What do you know about the recent Kotel controversy?
Explanations of the Kotel Controversy
In this section you will show the participants images and videos that express the development of the events regarding the Kotel controversy.
- What do you feel when you see the images or the videos?
- Did you identify with some of the statements?
- What do you think about the Israeli Government Decision?
Choose the texts that are of your interest and focus the debate on the following questions:
- Why is the Kotel important to you?
- Do these events affect your relationship with Israel?
- How do these events affects your conception on peoplehood?
- Do you think the Jews of the diaspora should influence the legal system of the State of Israel?
- If you were the president of the masorti movement, what actions would you take?
- Write a direct letter to the government of Israel that expresses your feelings regarding the Kotel situation.
Links to videos.
JTS facing the Kotel
Women of the wall statement- June, 26th 2017
Ministry of Diaspora Naftali Bennet explains government proposal. June, 26th 2017
Dov Lipman vs. Rabinate. June, 27th 2017
Yizhar Hess explains the evolutions of events regarding the Kotel controversy. November, 4th, 2016. (you can watch the first 10 minutes)
Articles and opinions
- Rabbi Avi Novis Deutsch the Dean of the Schechter Rabbinical Seminary.
- The last High Court appeal?
- What a terrible lesson we learned. How did we let the Israeli Government make fools of us?
Yizhar Hess is the CEO of the Masorti Movement
This article was published in Hebrew in Yediot Achronont:
- Today the Lord is Crying By Sherwin Pomerantz http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/today-the-lord-is-crying/